Ways to Make Money from Home Online
~ This article may contain affiliate links. I only suggest product or services I believe will benefit my readers. All opinions are 100% mine! ~
There are 2 basic ways that lead to financial freedom…making more money and saving money. You may be wondering what options you have for earning extra income. It can be hard to imagine how you can fit extra work hours into your already busy schedule. Today I give you over 50 ways to start earning extra income + tips on getting started! Hopefully, you will be inspired to think outside the box and find ways make money online.
You might be surprised that there are many different ways to start earning extra income…
One of the best ways to have flexibility while earning extra income is to START your OWN BUSINESS. You have skills that other people will pay for. Maybe you have time to do things that someone is too busy to do for themselves. If you start your own business, then I highly recommend you START A BLOG and social media account to advertise your business. Here are some business ideas…
50 Ways to Earn Extra Income
- Start a Blog – Starting a blog is really easy! You can make money through your blog, and it can also be a way to promote your business even if you aren’t selling products online. A blog is a great way for people to learn about your product or service. If you are interested in starting a blog then check out this link How to Start a Blog.
- Sell Supplies on Etsy – Maybe you aren’t crafty, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sell on Etsy. Etsy suppliers sell crafting products everything from fabric, jewelry tools, string, knitting supplies, anything you can imagine crafters would need. You can sell wholesale or individual items. Don’t know where to start? My favorite tip from this post: shop at thrift stores for unique crafting/sewing patterns and mark them up to 1200%! Check out this great article on Make Money on Etsy Without Crafting.
- Sell on Shopify/Pinterest – Shopify allows you to set up an online store complete with design, ability to accept credit card payments, track and respond to orders. You can also sell your products through Pinterest! Here is more info on selling through Shopify/Pinterest.
- Sell on Amazon with Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) – Selling on Amazon is one of the least stressful ways to sell products. You ship your items to an Amazon center and Amazon takes care of the rest. The Selling Family has an awesome FREE course called Amazon Boot Camp which includes 3 videos explaining details on how FBA works. If you want even more training you can sign up for this amazing free course How to be Successful on Amazon.
- Flip Thrift Store Goods on Ebay – Shop thrift stores for Excellent Used clothing and resale your goods on Ebay. If you love shopping and finding a good deal then you will love this as a side job! You can even turn it into a career. See my post Best Tips for Selling on Ebay.
- Start a Consignment Pop-Up from Home – Children’s consignment shops are all the rage around here. Consider starting a consignment pop-up from your home. Try selling adult clothing since there are so many children’s consignment pop-ups.
- Run Errands for a Fee – Have you ever run out of something for a recipe at the last minute? Or needed someone to pick up dry cleaning because you just have to much to do? There are a million reasons why we can’t fit everything in our schedules. Starting an errand business could help solve a problem for a lot of people. If you don’t want to start your own business, then try a site like Task Rabbit where they safely connect you with someone who needs a task completed.
- In-Home Childcare – Childcare is a great way to make extra money while staying home with your own children. When I went back to work I would have loved to found someone to care for my kids from their home. Leaving my babies at a home felt less drastic than a daycare. Daycare felt like school and they just seemed too little for that. We paid $143 per kid per week at daycare. I know some friends who charge $50 a day per kid for in home daycare. It’s important to research the going (in-home childcare) rates in your area. Also, you may be interested in this step-by-step guide How to Start and Run a Home Daycare which includes forms to help you get started.
- Childcare for Game Days (unique babysitting experiences) – create a unique experience for families on GAME DAYS. We live in a college town and the whole city heads to the football game on Saturday. Try creating a special Saturday babysitting experience. Up your babysitting game by providing special snacks, games, and activities. Advertise your Game Day babysitting on social media and with families you know who could use a sitter on Game Day.
- Create a character for children’s birthday parties (Elsa & Ana) – Create a character and activities to go along for a birthday party experience. You could be really busy every weekend with birthday parties.
- Children’s Party Planner – Children’s birthday parties have become Pincredible events! If you are crafty and love organizing parties. You could start a business that creates the perfect party theme for birthdays, graduations, holiday parties, baby showers, bridal parties…possibilities are endless!
- Pinterest Curator – Help people take their Pinterest dreams and make them true! Help decorate a home, complete a project, build or create furniture, all based on pins from their Pinterest board.
- Sell Prepared Homemade Dinners – When I was working full time, I would have loved to be able to pick up a homemade dinner at least once a week that I didn’t have to make. You could prepare homemade meals and have people pre-order ahead of time. Casseroles would be perfect for this kind of business!
- Become a consultant – You have a skill that others are willing to pay for! Just take a moment to figure out what you are really good at doing. What can you offer others? What skills do you have that would benefit other people and improve their lives? Some ideas: Parenting Consultant (think Super Nanny), Education Consultant, Behavior Consultant, Business Consultant
- Closet Organizer – Are you really good at organizing? People often need help organizing closets, kitchen cabinets, the garage, storage units. You can provide people the structure for organizing their lives!
- Personal Shopper – Do you love shopping? Are you good at styling home decor and clothes? You could start your own business as a personal shopper. If you aren’t interested in starting your own business then you could join Operator as a personal shopper helping people find products they love.
- Pet sitter – Start your own business watching pets during the day or while owners are on vacation or traveling for business. Not interested in starting your own business? Try joining Dogvacay as an independent contractor. People can search in their zip code and contact you to care for the pets.
- Dog Walker – Start your own business taking dogs for a walk. Sometimes people just need someone to let the dog out in the middle of the day. Feed/water the dog when they won’t be able to make it home or give medicine to their pets while they are working.
- Mow Lawns – Start a lawn mowing business. People are busy and would rather hire assitants to help keep their home maintained. You could even expand to window washing, pressure washing, cleaning out gutters.
- Clean Houses – Today men and women are working long hours and many times have long commutes. Their time is valuable, especially families with young children. Parents want to spend their off work hours with their kids. Some people are busy caring for sick family members or aging parents. These people need help maintaining their home. If you love cleaning this would be an awesome service to provide for busy families.
- Lyft Driver/Uber Driver – Make your car work for you! Become a Lyft Driver or Uber Driver by working flexible hours as a car service. You can easily earn $100 or more each week by driving people around!
- Tutor – You can start your own business as a tutor helping students at all ages. You can easily earn $15 or more an hour for tutoring in any subject. If you don’t know where to begin there are other online options like tutor.com.
- Teach English – Teaching English through online classrooms is becoming very popular. You can check out sites like VIP Kid, 51Talk, Italki, Verbal Planet, and Tutor ABC are all online firms that teach English to people through online systems. You can earn between $20 – $30 per hour teaching English as a second language.
- Teach workout classes – Earn a certification to teach workout classes at your local gym. You can earn your certification through AAAi for $99 – $150+ depending on the type of certification you are working towards.
- Swim Instructor – Become a certified swim instructor and teach kids to adults how to swim. You can also teach in beginner classes to competitive leagues.
- Groom Pets – Provide a convenient way for people to take care of their pets grooming needs by grooming pets at the person’s home. This would be a major convenience for the owner and could be a flexible job option for you.
- House sit – People are often traveling for work or vacation. If someone is gone for an extended period of time they may want someone to stay in their house to help care for animals or manage their home.
- Move furniture – One of the biggest hassles for people moving is finding help with lifting their bulky furniture. You could start a service that would help people move furniture whether it be to a new home or a different room in the house.
- Build Ikea furniture – Are you really good at building Ikea furniture? I have a bookcase that has been sitting in the box for 4 months! I dread putting all those pieces together and following the Ikea directions. This could be a great job for you if you love building furniture and can do it quickly.
- Handy Man (build a fence, fix things around the house) – Are you handy around the house? Can you build a fence, patch a hole, fix a toilet, hang pictures or curtains? People are so busy and could save time by hiring a handy-man to do all those little projects around the house.
- Take & Sell Photos online or with your smartphone – Do you take great photos? Bloggers, businesses, and other online entrepreneurs need stock photography photos to make their lives easier. You can sell your photos on sites like istockphoto and shutterstock.
- Cookie Baker & teach classes – Do you love to bake cookies? Decorated cookies are all the rage at Pinterest perfect parties! If you love baking and have a hand for creating art through frosting then this could be a perfect way to earn extra cash.
- Clean Cars – Very few people take the time to detail their car. Sure they may throw trash out when they are pumping gas, but a true cleaning inside an out doesn’t take place very often. You could earn $120+ detailing cars inside/outside.
- Paint Homes – There is an art and skill to painting a home both inside and outside. If you can paint quickly without creating a huge mess then you will be busy. This another one of those jobs that people need done, but don’t have the time to work on themselves.
- Host Art & Wine Nights or Team Building Opportunities for groups – Do you have access to a large room? Start a small business that allows people to relax and enjoy a night of being creative. You could host an Art & Wine night or team building opportunities.
- Wash windows – This could be one of the easiest side businesses to start. All you need is a bucket, warm water, soap, and a squeegee. You could also provide other services like powerwashing (siding, driveways, sidewalks, etc.), cleaning gutters, and other maintenance work around the house
- Delivery Person – food, flowers, groceries – Start your own business in your community or check out one of these jobs Postmates, WunWun, Instacart, and DoorDash.
- Write resumes – Do you have experience with a career field? Do you know what recruiters are looking for on resumes? Start a business reviewing/writing resumes. You could include reviewing LinkedIn profiles and cover letters.
- Proofreading – Do you have “eagle eyes”? You could start a business proofreading articles for magazines, blogs, or even transcripts from law offices or medical offices. You can find out more with Proofread Anywhere or check out jobs listed on Upwork (the number one freelance site).
- Social Media manager for small businesses – Social media is today’s best advertising. Are you an expert in social media? You can help small businesses out by implementing social media strategies to build their business.
- Create websites for small businesses – Do you run your own website or have experience building a website through WordPress, Squarespace, or another provider? Small businesses need help creating an online presence and if you have the skills to build websites you can build and sell them to small business owners. You could even sell lessons
- Rent – a room, tools, textbooks, garage space, parking space, wedding decorations
- Mystery shop – Mystery shopping can be a fun way to earn extra income and get free products/services. I mostly have earned free meals and oil changes. Bigger cities usually have better offers for products and services. You can see my Mystery Shopping Guide for more info.
- Earn Swagbucks – This is one of my favorite ways to earn side money. Swagbucks is a super easy way to earn gift cards to some of your favorite places or cash to your Paypal account! You earn points for doing what you already do like search the web or you can watch videos, take surveys, and receive Swagbucks when you make certain purchases. It won’t make you rich, but it’s an easy way to add up some cash!
- Lose weight & Earn money with Dietbet – I just finished my first Dietbet and it was so much fun! Not to mention I met my goal and won $17.99! I took a 4-week challenge that set my goal to lose 4% of my weight…roughly 1 1/2 pounds each week. If you have some weight to lose, are looking for motivation, and a way to earn some money…this could be perfect for you! I love making money while doing something I already should be doing as a regular part of my life!
- Virtual Assistant – A virtual assistant is someone who performs administrative duties online. They are usually hired for online research, bookkeeping, email management, social tasks, travel research, and other office related jobs that the owner is to busy working on. Interested in becoming a Virtual Assistant? Try this course, 30 Days to Virtual Assistant by Gina Horkey. Gina makes a living teaching people to create their own businesses as Virtual Assistants! Check out her interview from our series Smart Success Stories: Gina Horkey.
- Freelance Writer – A freelance writer is someone who is paid to write copy, blog posts, or articles. You can find work through different sites like elance, Upwork, Fiverr, and The Write Life. Want to know how you can start a successful freelance business? Check out Gina Horkey’s course 30 Days to Freelance Writing Success. Learn more about Gina in her interview from our series Smart Success Stories: Gina Horkey.
- Create gigs to sell on Fiverr – Fiverr is a marketplace where you can sell almost anything you can imagine! There are people selling advertisements on their head or chest to people who will create custom logos for your business. Do you have a skill that you could sell through Fiverr? Check out the site for more details. Fiverr
- Search Engine Evaluator – You can become a search engine evaluator by working for companies like Appen, Lionbridge…see this post for more search evaluator jobs Legit Work from Home Jobs that Pay $10 or More Per Hour
- Work at a Gym (Bonus: FREE gym membership) – There are several jobs you can do at a gym that don’t require a certification. Child care staff, front desk, fitness desk, janitor, maintenance. The bonus is you could have a free gym membership plus earn extra income.
- Work at a Golf Course (Bonus: FREE golf rounds) – Do you need to save money but love playing golf? There are many areas at a golf course you can work in to earn extra income: maintenance, picking up golf balls, grounds crew, pro shop sales, food service. Work part-time hours and get FREE golfing privileges.